The LNG terminal would raise Montenegro to the top of the Western Balkans, News
With the construction of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminal, Montenegro could become an important energy hub in the Western Balkans, it was estimated during the meeting of Finance Minister Aleksandar Damjanović with Brad Crabtree, Deputy Minister of Energy, who is in charge of fossil fuels and hydrocarbon management.
At a meeting with the first person in the US Ministry of Energy, responsible for the management of fossil fuels and hydrocarbons, Damjanović discussed the intensification of cooperation between Montenegro and the USA in the field of energy and the creation of conditions for much greater involvement of American companies in the Montenegrin market.
It was jointly stated that energy security is of key importance for the further development of Montenegro and the region, so several energy projects were considered in this sense, with an emphasis on the construction of a liquefied gas (LNG) terminal which, as assessed, could become important hub in the Western Balkans – the announcement states.
In the context of energy, Minister Damjanović also spoke with Alex Whittington, director of international relations of the Cheniere company, the largest supplier of liquefied gas in Europe and the second in the world.
The meeting discussed the way in which Montenegro can be a part of the energy transformation, through the construction of an LNG terminal, and in that direction concrete steps were also agreed on for possible cooperation between Montenegro and this renowned global company – the finance department announced.
In Washington, Damjanović also met with David De Falco, Deputy Minister of Trade for Europe and Eurasia, with whom he also discussed possible investments by American companies in Montenegro, whose focus, apart from energy, would be digital transformations and transport, but a highlighted priority is the continuation of the construction of the highway towards neighboring Serbia.
De Falco pointed out the importance of mutual cooperation between the countries of the Western Balkans, stressing that he supports various regional initiatives that create conditions for serious investments by American companies in this region.
It was jointly assessed that the visits of interested investors are of inestimable importance, such as the arrival of the American Trade Mission to Montenegro in November of last year, which was followed by the realization of concrete projects.
Sign up for business news updates & special reports.
- 11/05/2023 Luxury Public Relations for pearl of Mediterranean, Elevate PR for Montenegro
- 11/05/2023 Elevate your business in Montenegro with Elevate PR
- 09/05/2023 Montenegro economy briefing: Wage growth in the public sector and other labour market issues
- 24/04/2023 Without sustainable mining, there is no renewable future
- 08/04/2023 Montenegro economy briefing: Increased indebtedness of Montenegro
- 16/02/2023 Serbian Belkalhan calcite & graphite mining developer invites JV partners for joint critical raw materials exploitation
- 02/06/2023 Companies CREC and SPIC ready to invest in infrastructure and energy projects
- 02/06/2023 The project of the first Montenegrin satellite – Luča – will be launched into space next year
- 02/06/2023 Montenegro is introducing a system of electronic invoices